Second suspect arrested in UK tourist murder

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Pretoria - A second suspect has been arrested in the investigation into the murder of Anni Dewani, a UK tourist who was shot and killed in Gugulethu, Cape Town, at the weekend.

The announcement by National Police Commissioner Bheki Cele comes as the first arrested suspect - a 26-year-old man from Khayelitsha - was due to appear in court today.

"Someone has appeared in court and a second suspect has been arrested. The investigation is continuing and we expect to nab a few others," said Cele at a briefing at the Gugulethu Police Station earlier on Thursday.

Cele said he could not release the name of the suspects until they had appeared in court.

Anni Dewani and her husband Shrien were honeymooning in the Western Cape when they were hijacked while heading to Gugulethu on Saturday night. Their driver and then later Shrien Dewani were forced out of the car.

The body of Anni Dewani was later discovered by police in the back seat of the abandoned car.

Cele confirmed that Anni Dewani had been murdered, saying that the autopsy had revealed that she was shot once in the neck. The autopsy found that she was not sexually assaulted.

The body has been released to the family and is believed to have been taken back to the UK.

"The husband has also gone back home with the full understanding that everyone will be available for further questioning," said Cele, adding that everyone had so far been cooperative.

The Police Commissioner said the motive for the murder would only come out once the investigation was complete. He said the court's job was to find out what happened on the night of the murder, it was the police's job to collect the information.

Cele added that he was concerned about the "stability" of the Western Cape. He said there seemed to have been an increase in criminal activities, such as gangsterism, drug peddling and robberies at pension points.

He said the police would step up efforts in this regard.