South Africa celebrates Freedom Month during April. April will forever resonate in the history of our nation as the month that saw the first democratic elections in 1994 that gave birth to freedom and constitutional democracy in South Africa. This election marked turning point that saw the previously disadvantaged become part of the South African political processes. The country belongs to all who live in it.
The 1994 breakthrough promotes the values of freedom and democracy that are an integral part of our Constitutional democracy. Freedom Day is celebrated on 27 April in celebration of the historic participation of all the people of South African citizens in the first free and fair democratic elections
The National Orders are normally conferred on Freedom Day 27 April in recognition of the outstanding achievements of ordinary South Africans and foreign nationals.
National Orders honour those who made sacrifices beyond measure and dedicated their lives so that we can enjoy our freedom today.
There are six categories of National Orders, each recognising unique achievements by South Africans or foreign nationals.
The values and ideals of Freedom are integrated into the Constitution
The spirit of the Freedom Charter lives in the ideals and principles of the Constitution.
These values and principles promote the advancement of economic justice and social equality
The principles, values and ideals of the Constitution must influence our behavior, conduct and attitude.
The Bill of Rights reaffirms that everyone has inherent dignity and the right to have their dignity respected and protected.
We must continue to strengthen the freedoms and protections we enjoy under our Constitution.
- Mock elections in schools
- Taking democracy to schools
- Government delivers 4.3 million homes
- Show your patriotism this Freedom Month
- Pres Zuma to visit Iran
- Media urged to move SA forward
- Citizens urged to celebrate Freedom Month
- What's your Fort Hare story?
- Rivonia trialists honoured
- Sports history to be made in Limpopo
- Limpopo residents urged to celebrate Freedom Day
- SA, China cooperate on human rights
- SA embassy hosts freedom celebrations in Qatar
- Over 4000 apply on eHomeAffairs portal
- Local govt in your hands: register to vote
- Traditional leaders vital to nation building
- Presidential committee to plan 40th anniversary of June 16
- SA urged to register to vote