Pretoria - The Presidency on Thursday issued a statement to address reports by some media houses, which it says erroneously claim he "refused to go to the scene of the shooting" in Marikana.
"This is incorrect. Before meeting the workers and hearing their side of the story, President Zuma stopped at the scene to see where the shootings happened. He then proceeded to the workers to obtain a firsthand account of what happened from them, in addition to what he had been told by the injured miners in hospital on the 17th of August.
"We urge all media to try and rise above the story and ensure that facts reach the public at all times on the Marikana tragedy," said the Presidency in a statement.
Zuma visited Marikana on Wednesday, where he spent time listening to the concerns of the striking miners.
The Presidency will today hold a media briefing to give an update on the establishment of the Judicial Commission of Inquiry into the Marikana tragedy.
Several memorial services are being held around the country, including in Marikana, in honour of those who lost their lives in the tragedy.