Pretoria - The Presidency has corrected inaccurate media reports concerning the matter between Advocate Vusi Pikoli and the government.
Media reports stated that former President Kgalema Motlanthe gave an undertaking that he would not appoint a new National Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP) until the court rules on Mr Pikoli's challenge to his removal as NDPP.
"The former President Kgalema Motlanthe did not give such undertaking. He undertook that he would give Pikoli's legal representative notice before he appoints a new National Director of Public Prosecutions," the Presidency said in a statement on Wednesday.
Mr Pikoli was suspended by former president Thabo Mbeki in September 2007, and finally fired by Mr Motlanthe in December last year for being insensitive to issues of national security.
The Presidency further said media reports stating that Mr Mbeki had told the court he was advised by the National Security Council to suspend Mr Pikoli, were false.
"All he said was that he conferred with the National Security Council. Nor did the Ginwala enquiry declare the suspension of Advocate Pikoli as the NDPP to be unlawful as some media reports also stated," the Presidency said.