Postponement in Mining Charter court case welcomed

Monday, February 19, 2018

The Presidency has welcomed the indefinite postponement of the hearings on the revised Mining Charter by the North Gauteng High Court.

The application to review the Mining Charter was brought by the Chamber of Mines and seven mining communities following the amendment of the Mining Charter.

Last year, the Department of Mineral Resources amended the Mining Charter to strengthen and refine its effectiveness in driving economic transformation and competitiveness in the mining sector.

“Among other prospects, this judgment enables all stakeholders concerned to address the concern by representatives of mining affected communities that they had not been properly engaged on an agreement between the Chamber of Mines and the Department of Mineral Resources on the postponement of the court application which was heard on Monday,” the Presidency said.

The Presidency reaffirmed its commitment to ensure that communities are integrally involved in consultations not only on the Mining Charter, but on all matters relating to the development of this sector.

During his State of the Nation Address on Friday, President Cyril Ramaphosa reiterated that government is determined to work with mining companies, unions and communities to grow the mining sector, attract new investment, create jobs and set the industry on a new path of transformation and sustainability.

He said government would intensify engagements with all stakeholders on the Mining Charter to ensure that it is truly an effective instrument to sustainably transform the face of mining in South Africa

“It is regrettable that there was insufficient consultation on the issue of the postponement. Government will ensure that this matter is corrected in engagement on the Mining Charter going forward,” the Presidency said. – SAnews.gov.za

Most Read

SA News on Facebook