Gauteng Premier to honour Life Esidimeni victims

Monday, March 19, 2018

Gauteng Premier David Makhura says the provincial government will honour the memory of the lives lost in the Life Esidimeni mental healthcare project.

“In respecting the outcomes of the arbitration process and in implementing its recommendations in full, we will honour the memory of the lives lost. Whilst nothing can bring back those who have lost their lives, the families of all patients deserve the truth and accountable redress needs to be made."

The Premier made the comments as he welcomed the Redress Award for the Life Esidimeni victims that was announced by retired Chief Justice Dikgang Moseneke on Monday.

This morning retired Chief Justice Moseneke presented his final report on the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) process which was concluded in February.

Justice Moseneke ordered that the affected families each receive R20 000 for funeral expenses, R180 000 for shock and psychological trauma and R1 million in constitutional damages.

Government has been ordered to pay this amount in no later than 3 months from today.

“We will continue to work with the families and we are committed to honouring all families by ensuring that the judgements listed in the report are actioned within the stated timelines,” said Premier Makhura.

The Premier accepted the findings and conclusion outlined in the report.

In his State of the Province Address earlier this year, Premier Makhura noted that an independent curator will be appointed to ensure that this award is implemented without delay.

The arbitration process was established by Premier Makhura, following the recommendations made by the Health Ombudsman to determine a way forward such as mechanisms of redress and compensation for the families affected by the Life Esidimeni tragedy. –SAnews.gov.za

Most Read

SA News on Facebook