City's 2010 security plan to create more jobs

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Cape Town - More than 440 jobs will be created as part of the City of Cape Town's safety and security plan for the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

Launching the plan on Wednesday, Mayoral Committee Member for Safety and Security, Councillor JP Smith, said the safety and security resources, personnel, vehicles and facilities had been greatly enlarged to the benefit all residents and visitors of the soccer tournament.

He said the Fire and Rescue Services have received seven new fire engines and is awaiting a new Hazmat vehicle and a hydraulic platform. In addition, 122 fire-fighters have been appointed.

The Disaster Risk Management team has acquired a new mobile Incident Command Vehicle for on-site emergencies, Smith said, adding that it was large enough to house representatives from all the relevant emergency services.

According to the plan, City Traffic Services have appointed 35 trained traffic officers and another 70 will be appointed soon. It has also acquired five Golf GTi patrol cars, 10 bicycles, protective clothing and equipment as well as 40 motorcycles.

He said the Metro Police received 16 new Chev Optra sedans plus horse-box trailers for its equestrian unit, while the Law Enforcement received 19 bicycles, four mini-buses, four Chev Optra sedans, five Segways and a light delivery vehicle.

Altogether, Smith said, 180 temporary Law Enforcement Officers will be appointed to assist with the enforcement of municipal by-laws.

Behind the scenes, the City has augmented its 24-hour 107 emergency call centre by employing 35 emergency operators and professional officers.

The Disaster Risk Management Centre, which co-ordinates all emergency operations under the City's jurisdiction, has had various structural additions and modifications done to its buildings, audio-visual and other special operational equipment installed plus 30 additional staff members appointed.

The operational plan, he said, will be tested at different events in the run-up to the final draw for next year's tournament at the Cape Town International Convention Centre on December 4.

"Prior to the world cup, there will be three test events at the new stadium to ensure that all safety and security aspects have been thoroughly tested before the tournament kick-off in June," Smith said.

To ensure public awareness of the City's safety approach to the world cup, the municipality will display the official Host City and 2010 FIFA World Cup logos on all the vehicles specially acquired for the tournament.

Most Read

SA News on Facebook