Calm after Cape Town bomb scare

Friday, May 22, 2009

Cape Town - The situation at the Holiday Inn Express, near the St George's Mall in Cape Town, where there was a bomb scare earlier this morning, has normalised.

"The building has been declared safe and everything is back to normal," said South African Police Services spokesperson, Captain Bernadine Steyn.

The building, where some of the newly-elected Members of Parliament were staying, was evacuated earlier this morning following a bomb scare.

"The hotel received a call from an unknown person at 6.10am saying guests must evacuate because there was a bomb in the building," Captain Steyn told BuaNews on Friday.

She said everyone was evacuated as a precaution and sniffer dogs where sent in to find traces of explosives. However, no evidence of a bomb was found.

"Police and sniffer dogs who went in to search the hotel had not found any trace of a bomb."

Most Read

SA News on Facebook