Xingwana refutes travel scam allegations

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Pretoria - Minister for Women, Children and People with Disabilities, Lulu Xingwana, has denied allegations that she owes any money to Parliament in relation to the misuse of Parliament's travel vouchers.

Xingwana labelled the allegations against her as false, adding that she would ensure her name is cleared.

Her ministry said that when the allegations initially surfaced, the minister approached Parliament to establish the facts, with the aim of addressing the claims. When there was little progress, she also approached the travel agency in question.

"She was ultimately told that there was no information suggesting misuse of vouchers and there was no money owed by her to the agency and/or Parliament. Minister Xingwana has never received any letter of demand from the travel agency or Parliament," the ministry added.

When the media approached the minister's office for comment this week, the office asked Parliament for any details substantiating the amount of R54 800 that is claimed to be owed by Xingwana.

The ministry said so far, they have received no details.

Most Read

SA News on Facebook