Labour reviews private security sectoral determination

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pretoria - The Department of Labour (DoL) has kick-started a series of national public hearings on reviewing the Private Security Sectoral Determination following a notice by the Minister.

This, according to the department, forms as part of an investigation to review wages and conditions of employment in the sector.

Deputy-Director Labour Relations: Employment Standards at the department, Shaun Feldman, said the current determination for the private security sector expires in September.

Feldman said the public hearings, which started earlier this month, were expected to continue until the end of May.

"It is important that all those that will be affected, the employers and employees participate in the process so that their inputs are considered when the new determination comes into effect," he said.

Feldman said the review applies to every employer and employee in the private security sector including car guards.

The scope of coverage includes those that guard or protect fixed property, goods, premises and persons or employees, including monitoring and responding to alarms at premises which are guarded by electronic means. The determination excludes manager(s) and those subject to bargaining council agreements.

The Private Security Sectoral Determination was promulgated on 30 November 2001.

Feldman said although there was a challenge to get people to attend the hearings because of the nature of the industry shifts, he emphasised the importance of full participation by all concerned.

"The hearings provide an ideal opportunity to look at problematic areas," he said, adding that inputs would be submitted in oral and in written format.

He said once the process of public hearings were complete, the department will compile a report based on inputs from all stakeholders which would be presented to the Employment Conditions Commission (ECC).

"The ECC then advises the minister who then decides on the new determination," Feldman said.

Some of the factors considered by the ECC in the determination include the ability to conduct business successfully, creations and retention of employment, alleviation of poverty, effect on small business, cost of living, conditions of employment, impact of conditions on Occupational Health and Safety and what impact will this determination have on the sector.

The next series of Private Sector Public Hearings will be held as follows: Northern Cape - Upington's Waterfront Guest Centre 25/04/2012 and Kimberley's DoL office on 26/04/2012. North West hearings will be held at Rustenburg's Civic Centre 24/05/2012, Klerksdorp's Ngwenya Hotel & Conference Centre on 25/05/2012, Mafikeng's Garden View Lodge 26/04/2012. Western Cape hearing will be held at the Department's Provincial office in Cape Town on 10/05/2012, Mosselbay's D'Almeida Library Hall and at George's DoL office.

In KwaZulu-Natal hearings will be held in Durban at La Vita Conference centre on 09/05/2012, Richard's Bay' Imbizo Conference Centre 10/05/2012, Newcastle at Majuba Lodge 11/05/2012. In Limpopo at Thohoyandou's Peermont Metcourt Khoroni 16/05/2012, Tzaneen's Fairview River Lodge 17/05/2012, Polokwane's Mosate Lodge 18/05/2012. Eastern Cape in Port Elizabeth's DoL offices 16/05/2012, East London's DoL office 17/05/2012 and in Umtata at Savoy Hotel 18/05/2012.

In the Free State, hearings will be held in Bloemfontein's Protea Hotel 23/05/2012, Bethlehem's Frontier Hotel 24/05/2012, and Welkom's Gold Guest and Conference Centre 25/05/2012. All public hearings will start at 10h00.

Interested stakeholders who wish to submit their inputs can forward their details to: The Director, Employment Standards, Private Bag X117, Pretoria, 0001 or Attention: Mogodi Masenya (tel) (012) 309-4067/ (fax) (012) 309-4709 or Mogodi.masenya@labour.gov.za or fax 0866 247175.

Most Read