KZN makes progress in reintegrating foreign nationals

Monday, April 20, 2015

Pretoria – More than 1000 foreign nationals, who were displaced after violence against foreign nationals broke out in KwaZulu-Natal, have been reintegrated back into the communities they were staying in previously.

“A total of 1100 Malawian nationals were successfully reintegrated in ward 13 in Mariannhill,” the eThekwini Municipality said.

In ward 91 in Mpumalanga a number of previously displaced foreign nationals were also successfully reintegrated.

They were displaced during the attacks on foreign nationals, which started in KwaZulu-Natal and spread to Gauteng. Several people have died as a result.

“More meetings are taking place to facilitate the reintegration of displaced foreign nationals. Consultations to facilitate the peaceful return of displaced nationals with communities in all affected areas are currently underway,” the municipality said.

Transport, Community Safety, and Liaison MEC Willies Mchunu said government was satisfied with the progress being made to stabilise the province.

He urged all communities and their leaders to shift the focus to the peaceful reintegration of those that had been displaced.

“We wish to thank and encourage those communities that have already welcomed back those who were displaced and ensure that there is peaceful co-existence with foreign nationals,” MEC Mchunu said.

He condemned the attacks, saying they were acts of criminality. “We warn … that the police will deal with them accordingly,” MEC Mchunu said.

eThekwini Mayor James Nxumalo said the city was working hard towards ensuring the peaceful reintegration and co-existence of communities with their brothers and sisters from other African countries.

“In this regard we appeal for calm, tolerance and harmony in our interactions with foreign nationals,” Nxumalo said. – SAnews.gov.za

 

Most Read