France, Uruguay game ends in goalless draw

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Cape Town - Neither Uruguay nor France found the back of the net after squaring up in Cape Town today, as the second straight game in the World Cup ended last night without a result.

France, ranked 10th by FIFA, had a good chance of winning last night against Uruguay, ranked 18 by Fifa, but disappointed French fans slated the performance of their team with some branding the match as "boring".

One French fan said he would rather support Bafana Bafana than France, after his side's dismal performance last night.

The game almost came apart in the second half when French coach Raymond Domenech had to jump onto the field to stop a fight, when tensions brewed after a French player fouled Uruguay's Alvaro Pereira.

France dominated the early and then later part of the game, but even famed striker Thierry Henry failed to make a difference when he entered the field midway through the second half.

Henry failed to capitalise on two late attempts at goal.

His first came within minutes of referee red carding Uruguayian Midfielder Nicolas Lodeiro after he fouled Florent Malouda, went wide of the goals, and his second in the closing minutes of the game during a penalty shot at goals.

About 700 Urguayians from around the world were expected at last night's match, according to Uruguayian fan, Pablo Aischar from Montevideo, Uruguay.

Also there in their thousands were Bafana Bafana fans decked out in green and gold and scattered around the stadium.

One could still make out loud cheers from the capacity crowd, despite the constant sound of booming vuvuzelas.

A deafening roar sounding, shook the stadium in the early minutes as 64 500 fans performed a Mexican wave.

The smell of gas-fired cookers filled the air and an icy breeze pushed temperatures down to 12 degrees C, but many fans, wearing nothing more than a thin sweater didn't seem to mind.

France made nine assaults on the Uruguayian goal in the first half, with the first attempt coming in the sixth minute of the game from French forward Sidney Govou.

Minutes later Uruguay's Diego Forlan's attempt at goals - the first of only two in the first half by the South American team, was fended off by French goalkeeper Hugo lloris, before France again had a go at the goals.

However, the ball possession in the first half was fairly equal, with France racking up 49 percent of possession.

Halfway through the second half Uruguay's Diego Forlan, later given man of the match, failed to capitalise on a penalty shot at the goals when French goalkeeper lloris took a safe save.

Minutes later Iloris made another save as Uruguay charged at the goals, but Uruguay continued their assault on the French goals, with Forlan's boot again failing to score.