Firearm recovered following saga

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Pretoria - A firearm shown in footage involving two criminals threatening to commit crimes during the 2010 FIFA World Cup in an broadcast, has been found.

The Police Ministry said the Hawks, the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigations, discovered the firearm shown in the footage, in Tshepisong, Kagiso, on Monday.

A shot gun, which was not shown in the broadcast, was also found. In addition to the police finding the guns, a third suspect who did not appear in the footage, but whom police say is closely linked to the matter, was also arrested.

This comes just four days after the arrest of one of the two criminals, who subsequently appeared in court yesterday. The second suspect is still on the run but police are confident his arrest is now imminent.

Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa said he was satisfied with the latest developments in the matter.

"I am really satisfied with the manner in which police have dealt a blow to these criminals. Given the latest developments, we remain confident that police will soon bring down this syndicate on its knees, if indeed it is a syndicate.

"If any so-called mastermind or would-be criminal thinks the 2010 FIFA World Cup is an easy 'cash cow' they are so mistaken. No section of any part of the Constitution - which is the supreme law of the Republic, makes provision for the protection, befriending and collaboration with criminals," said Mthethwa.

National Police Commissioner, Bheki Cele, said the recovery of the firearm in the footage depicted a clear indication that police are leaving no stone unturned in apprehending criminals.

"We will find them even if they hide in the Indian or Atlantic oceans - they will find us there. We will find them even if they connive with any fraternity in this country be it media or any other; we say no one is above the law," said Cele.

He also called on community members to expose criminals.

Tsietsi Radebe, who appeared in the Johannesburg Magistrate's Court yesterday, has had his case postponed to 10 February.