Election violence not tolerated: Cabinet

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Pretoria - A zero tolerance approach will be taken with regards to violence and disruptive behavior during the upcoming local municipal elections, Cabinet said on Thursday.

Briefing media at a post-Cabinet briefing on Thursday, Minister in the Presidency Responsible for Monitoring and Evaluation, Collins Chabane, said Cabinet had taken note that in the run-up to the elections on 18 May there had been some sporadic protests accompanied by damage to property.

"Government will adopt a zero tolerance to violent and disruptive behavior as electioneering intensifies. Together we have worked hard to build a democratic local government that gives communities a voice and the opportunity to be active agents in the development of localities in which they live," Chabane said.

Registered voters were also encouraged to participate in the forthcoming elections while also being called on to elect representatives who will promote their community's interests.

"Cabinet calls on all South Africans to work together to ensure that the elections are conducted in a free and fair manner."

On Wednesday, President Jacob Zuma announced that Election Day will be a public holiday.

Most Read

SA News on Facebook