KwaZulu-Natal Premier Willies Mchunu and his executive council have expressed condolences to the Zulu royal household following the passing of Prince Butholesizwe.
The monarchy at the weekend announced that Prince Butholesizwe, 31, the third son of King Goodwill Zwelithini and Queen MaDlamini, passed away on Thursday evening after a short illness.
“This sad loss has inflicted an irreparable damage in the hearts of the people of KwaZulu-Natal and the country as a whole. His Majesty, in particular, is once again experiencing the pain of losing his greatest asset.
“It [is] with a heavy heart that we received the news last night,” said Mchunu.
He described the death as a shock.
“On behalf of the government and people of KwaZulu-Natal, we wish His Majesty all the strength in this hour of pain and loss. We would like to extend our condolences to the entire royal family, who are also hard hit by this sudden loss.”
Mchunu said the provincial government had been in communication with His Majesty regarding the Prince’s passing.
“As government, we stand ready to provide the necessary moral support as His Majesty may require in this period during which he is in a cloud of darkness, having lost his own flesh and blood,” Mchunu said.
The provincial government has urged the people of KwaZulu-Natal to pray for His Majesty and the entire Royal Household during the time of mourning.
“I can say this without fear of contradiction that all Members of the Executive Council have undertaken to offer their support to His Majesty and the Royal Family.
“During this period of mourning, we call on leaders of society – especially religious leaders of all faiths - to pray for His Majesty and the Royal Household,” said Mchunu. - SAnews.gov.za