Cabinet sends condolences to Bronkhorstspruit crash victims

Friday, April 28, 2017

Pretoria - Cabinet has sent condolences to the family and friends of the 20 victims of the horrific Bronkhorstspruit minibus taxi crash. 

The school children, who attended Refano Primary School and Mahlenga High School, died when their minibus taxi collided head-on with a truck and caught fire on the R25 between Verena and Bronkhorstpruit on Friday, 21 April. Several children had been burnt beyond recognition due to the fire. 

“We echo the call by President Jacob Zuma for law enforcement agencies to swiftly investigate the cause of the accident. The road carnage, particularly during holidays in South Africa, remains a pressing national concern. 

“In many cases, these fatalities could have been prevented through responsible behaviour and use of the country’s roads. Reckless and negligent driving is unacceptable and all South Africans are urged to take personal responsibility for their safety on our roads,” said Communications Minister Ayanda Dlodlo on Friday. 

She was addressing media after Cabinet’s meeting. 

She thanked all government departments, NGOs, professionals and businesses who are supporting the affected families as well as learners and staff members. 

Cabinet also sent its condolences to the families and friends of the 235 people who lost their lives in road accidents over the Easter holiday. The statistics for the period indicate that 50% of the people who died were pedestrians, followed by passengers at 24% and drivers at 19%. 

Meanwhile, Cabinet commended the bus transport sector for returning to work after its strike, saying the fact that it was violence free shows how industrial protests can be conducted.

“The Minister of Labour’s role must be acknowledged in facilitating the end of the strike for this very important sector of our economy,” said Minister Dlodlo. – SAnews.gov.za

Most Read

SA News on Facebook