Cabinet satisfied with North West intervention

Thursday, August 23, 2018

Cabinet has expressed satisfaction at the milestones reached after the implementation of the Section 100(1) intervention in the North West Government.

“Cabinet is satisfied with the implementation stage, with several milestones reached in terms of the institutionalization of the project in the province,” said Communications Minister Nomvula Mokonyane, during a post Cabinet briefing, on Thursday. 

The intervention came after violent protests swept the province over service delivery earlier this year with residents calling for the resignation of former Premier Supra Mahumapelo. 

Job Mokgoro has since taken over the reins. Several milestones have been reached in terms of the institutionalization project in the province. They include a Memorandum of Understanding between the national and provincial government that was signed from the Inter-Ministerial Task Team on North West.

The Minister said five administrators have been appointed and formally installed as accounting officers for the departments placed under Section 100(1)b - and this was one of the milestones reached.

This also saw protocols and directives between the respective National Ministers and provincial MECs being signed in line with Section 100(1)b.

An overall coordinator for the management of the North West intervention has been appointed, said the Minister.

She added that Cabinet also expressed appreciation to the immediate intervention by the South African National Defence Force and the Municipal Infrastructure Support Agent on the sewage crisis in the Ditsobotla Local Municipality. 

“The spillage of the sewerage, which had become a health hazard to the community, has been cleared,” Mokonyane said. 

Cabinet commended the work that has been done to date by the Administrators under the leadership of the Inter-Ministerial Task Team chaired by Minister Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma. – SAnews.gov.za

Most Read

SAnews on Twitter