All systems go for #100MenMarch

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Scores of people are expected to descend on the capital city this morning to pledge their support of the #100MenMarch in an effort to stop violence against women and children.

Law and traffic enforcement officers are ready to man routes around the Tshwane city centre, as march proceedings will commence at Church Square at 10am and end on the southern lawns of the Union Buildings. However, participants in the march are expected to make their way to Church Square ahead of the set time of 10am.

The City of Tshwane announced that the following intersections will be affected by the march:

  • Kgosi Mampuru Street
  • Sophie De Bruyn Street
  • Bosman Street
  • Paul Kruger Street
  • Thabo Sehume Street
  • Lillian Ngoyi Street
  • Sisulu Street
  • Du Toit Street
  • Nelson Mandela Drive
  • Steve Biko Street
  • Hamilton Street

Motorists are advised to avoid the affected streets and use alternative routes such as Francis Baard Street, Nana Sita, Johannes Ramokgoase, Pretorius and Park Street.

Details about the march will be placed on government platforms including www.sanews.gov.za; www.gov.za; @SAgovnews and @GovermentZA.

Members of the public can join in the conversation on Twitter using the hashtag #ThumaMina #100MenMarch.

The march is expected draw men from various sectors of society such as government, business, labour, faith-based organisations, non-profit and media organisations to advocate against the abuse of women and children.

Chapter nine institutions, including the Commission for Gender Equality; non-profit organisation, LifeLine, actor Mpumi Mpama and anti-crime activist Yusuf Abramjee are just some of the organisations and public figures set to attend the march.

Last week, the Government Communication and Information System (GCIS) launched the #100MenMarch, calling on men to take a stand against women and children abuse.

The call comes amid harrowing statistics from Statistics South Africa that the country has seen a 117% increase in the murder rate for women between 2015 and 2016/17.

Speaking at the launch, GCIS Acting Director-General Phumla Williams said the march is not a once-off event and government hopes it will go a long way to finding solutions to address the scourge of violence against women and children.

The #100MenMarch forms part of the centenary celebrations of former President Nelson Mandela and struggle stalwart Mama Albertina Sisulu, who both committed their lives to the fight for the human rights particularly women and children.

“Both these stalwarts committed their lives to the fight for the human rights particularly women and children. The march in part celebrates their lives but also seeks to raise awareness on the scourge of violence against women and children,” GCIS said.

Members of the public can pledge their support by signing on https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/100-men-march.html. – SAnews.gov.za

Most Read

SA News on Facebook