AARTO roll out not delayed - dept

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Pretoria - The Department of Transport says the national rollout of the Administrative Adjudication of Road Traffic Offences (AARTO) Act has not been delayed.

"Transport Minister Sibusiso Ndebele is still to announce a date for the national roll-out of AARTO and the minister has not announced any date as yet," said the department in a statement.

It said once the minister was fully satisfied that the national roll-out of AARTO may proceed a date would be announced. 

This comes after claims in the media that the 1 April 2011 deadline had been postponed once again.

The national roll-out of AARTO as well as the points-demerit system that goes with it was postponed last year based on representations received from various sectors, including certain provinces, municipalities and organized labour who had requested a postponement. 

Over the past few months, the department, Road Traffic Management Corporation and other stakeholders have been working all out to ensure that all outstanding issues for the national implementation of AARTO are resolved, according to the department.

The roll-out of AARTO is envisaged during the new financial year, which commences on 1 April 2011 and ends on 31 March 2012. - BuaNews

Most Read

SAnews on Twitter