2010 OC welcomes new Cabinet appointments

Monday, May 11, 2009

Pretoria - The 2010 FIFA World Cup Organising Committee (OC) has congratulated the Ministers and Deputy Ministers who have been appointed by President Jacob Zuma.

President Zuma announced his new Cabinet on Sunday as well as a new government structure.

In a statement, the OC said it had noted that many members of its Board of Directors had been included in the new Cabinet.

They include Tokyo Sexwale, who was appointed Minister of Human Settlements; Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma, who was appointed Minister of Home Affairs; Jeff Radebe, who moved from the position of Minister of Transport to that of Minister of Justice; Reverend Makhenkesi Stofile, who kept his title as Minister of Sport; Sicelo Shiceka, who's department was renamed Co-Operative Governance and Traditional Affairs and Susan Shabangu, who was appointed as the Minister of Mining.

Other positions pertaining to OC board members include Nhlanhla Nene who remains Deputy Minister of Finance, as well as the retention of Sue van der Merwe as Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs.

The OC said that due to Sibusiso Ndebele being appointed as the new Minister of Transport, he would take over the portfolio from OC Board Member Mr Radebe.

"The OC firmly believes that the South African Government and its new Cabinet will continue to deliver on its commitments to the country's successful hosting of the 2010 FIFA World Cup," it said.

It further congratulated President Zuma on his swearing in as South Africa's new President and commended him for the strong Cabinet he appointed to lead the country over the next five years.

Chairman of the OC's Board of Directors, Dr Irvin Khoza said: "The South African Government plays an integral role in the composition and functioning of the OC's Board of Directors and their support and guidance has been absolutely fundamental in ensuring that South Africa is currently well on track to successfully hosting Africa's first FIFA World Cup."

He said despite previous changes of government and Cabinet, the South African Government has always maintained continuity and seamlessly delivered on its 17 Government guarantees to FIFA for staging the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

The OC's Chief Executive Officer, Dr Danny Jordaan said: "We have no doubt this will again be the case and that the South African Government will continue to be as supportive and instrumental as it has always been in our country's efforts to stage the 2010 FIFA World Cup."

Most Read

SA News on Facebook