Govt lashes out at misleading media reports

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Pretoria - Government has dismissed certain media reports suggesting that some ministers were replaced in Cabinet because they spoke out against corruption.

This follows claims in some newspapers that former Public Enterprises Minister Barbara Hogan and former Public Works Minister Geoff Doige were replaced because of their stance on corruption. The two are among the seven ministers removed from their portfolios as part of a broader Cabinet reshuffle announced by President Jacob Zuma earlier this week.

"Government wishes to put it on record that changes to the National Executive, as announced by President Zuma were necessitated by nothing other than what President Zuma said when he made the announcement," government spokesperson Themba Maseko said.

The changes were introduced to strengthen the capacity of government to deliver on its mandate and to improve the quality of life of all South Africans, he said.

On Sunday, Zuma said: "We reiterate that we need a national executive and public service that knows where our people live, who fully understand the needs of our people and what we are trying to achieve."

Maseko said one of the priorities of the current administration was to stamp out crime and corruption, adding that the President will support efforts across government to make sure that the scourge is defeated.

Members of Cabinet and others in positions of authority across the public service enjoyed the President's support in the fight against corruption.

Most Read

SA News on Facebook