Circumcision campaign in KZN a success

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Pretoria - In an effort to help combat HIV and AIDS in KwaZulu-Natal, doctors from across the country and the continent circumcised over 200 men in KwaNongoma recently.

While four men reported swelling and pain after the procedure, the Department of Health said the campaign was a success.

King Goodwill Zwelithini announced the revival of male circumcision last year during the umkhosi wokweshwama (first fruit) ceremony.

"While swelling and sepsis are the main causes of complication in all circumcision cases, we have received reports that four cases have been referred to hospital complaining of swelling and pain," said Department Head, Dr Sibongile Zungu.

"None of these cases can be classified as serious as doctors in all hospitals have managed these successfully, we can say the launch was a resounding success," Zungu said.

Men between the ages of 15 and 49 were screened and counseled ahead of the procedure said Zungu.

Most Read

SA News on Facebook

SAnews on Twitter