Hogan, Eskom to oppose Maroga's R85m claim

Monday, January 25, 2010
By: 
Chris Bathembu

Pretoria - Public Enterprises Minister Barbara Hogan will oppose the multimillion Rand lawsuit filed by former Eskom Chief Executive Officer Jacob Maroga against the power utility.

Hogan's spokesperson Ayanda Shezi said the minister was cited as the third respondent in the matter. Maroga is demanding Eskom pays him R85 million or give him his job back.

As details of Maroga's demands emerged over the weekend, Eskom's media desk could only say they will be challenging the claim in court.

Shezi said allegations made by Maroga regarding the Eskom board will be investigated and "will be addressed as appropriate in the course of legal proceedings and we will abide by the court's ruling on the matter".

Maroga has argued that the Eskom board had forced him to quit before his contract could end.

Maroga, whose contract was due to expire in 2012, left Eskom late last year amid confusion.

Part of what he is said to be claming is R1-million a year for a "dedicated protector and driver" for his family and R500 000 a year for security at his Johannesburg home.

Most Read