Summons served on Deputy President regarding Marikana

Friday, November 13, 2015

Pretoria – The Presidency says it can confirm a summons has been served on the lawyers of Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa arising from the Marikana tragedy.

In a statement, the Presidency said that it wished to put it on record that a summons has indeed been served on lawyers of Deputy President Ramaphosa arising from the Marikana tragedy and that he has instructed his lawyers to defend the action.

The statement was issued in response to media queries arising from an oral reply provided by the Deputy President in the National Assembly on Thursday.

He told Members of Parliament that a summons had been issued on him in his personal capacity and two other parties.

“As a consequence, and on the basis of legal advice, I have sought and obtained, I have informed the Secretary of Cabinet that it would not be appropriate for me to be involved in the process I have referred to announced by the President on 29 September 2015.

“Therefore even providing details in this regard which I don’t have, I believe it is not appropriate for me to get involved in as I will soon be a litigant in this matter I therefore will not get involved,” said the Deputy President in Parliament.

On 26 August 2012, a commission of inquiry was appointed to investigate matters of public, national and international concern arising out of the tragic incidents at the Lonmin Mine in Marikana during 11 to 16 August 2012.

About 44 people lost their lives and many others were injured.

The commission was chaired by retired Judge Ian Farlam, assisted by Advocates PD Hemraj SC and BR Tokota SC.

The commission was tasked with enquiring into and making findings and recommendations concerning the conduct of Lonmin Plc, the South African Police Service (SAPS), the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (AMCU), the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM), the Department of Mineral Resources (DMR) and other government departments, as well as individuals and groupings. 

President Jacob Zuma released the report in June earlier this year.

The Presidency said it reiterated the view that the findings of the Farlam Commission remain clear insofar as they relate to Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa personally. – SAnews.gov.za

Most Read

SA News on Facebook