State capture commission should be given space to do its work

Friday, November 23, 2018

Deputy President David Mabuza says the judicial commission that is currently underway and probing allegations of State capture should be allowed to do its work without interference.

The Deputy President said this when he fielded oral questions in the National Assembly on Thursday.

“…the Judicial Commission of Inquiry into allegations of State capture, corruption and fraud in the public sector, including organs of State, as guided by the Public Protector’s State of Capture report, is an independent process and should be treated as such.

“Therefore, the Deputy President is not expected to interfere with this process so that it duly runs its process without compromising its integrity,” Mabuza said.

DA caucus Chief Whip John Steenhuisen had asked whether the Deputy President, as the patron of the Moral Regeneration Movement and in the pursuit of the promotion of social cohesion initiatives, had taken any steps to encourage members of the executive, who may be implicated in State capture, to participate in and make full disclosures to the commission.

The commission, which is currently chaired by Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo, has so far called several witnesses, as well as current and former members of the executive. This includes former Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene, former Public Enterprises Minister Barbara Hogan and current Minister Pravin Gordhan.

The Deputy President said the commission has, through its terms of reference, been equipped with powers to call on anyone who may be implicated in any allegations to give evidence.

“I have confidence that the commission is fully empowered by law, to invite and subpoena where appropriate, individuals implicated in any form of corruption or fraud as covered under the Terms of Reference of the Commission.

“If there are members of the public who think they have further information to assist the commission, they are encouraged to approach it and present their case,” he said. 
 
The Deputy President also said that the ANC’s National Executive Committee, which he is a part of, communicated to the public that it supports the commission and encouraged all those who are implicated and who have been called upon to present evidence to the commission, to fully cooperate with this process. 
 
“As a member of the Executive Arm of the State, it would be inappropriate for me to interfere with the workings of the commission until it finishes it job.” – SAnews.gov.za

Most Read

SAnews on Twitter