SARS employees back at work

Monday, September 14, 2009

Pretoria - South African Revenue Service (SARS) has confirmed that the industrial strike is over and its employees are all back at work.

Speaking to BuaNews on Monday, SARS spokesperson Adrian Lackay said all employees at the regional offices were back at work and the organisation was operating as normal.

"The strike is over and we are meeting the unions today to further our negotiations. On Thursday we are implementing our offer and we are confident that the unions will accept it after we clearly explained what it entails," said Lackay.

He said SARS have consulted with employees and many of them are happy with the 9 to 11 percent offer, adding that there will be no reason for unions not to accept it.

The unions are also confident that a deal will be signed.

SARS employees went on strike last week in what was supposed to be a one-day stay away, but this was extended because the tax man and unions could not reach an agreement.

The unions which included the National Education Health and Allied Workers Union (Nehawu) and Public Servants Association (PSA) had demanded a 12.8 percent increase.

Most Read

SA News on Facebook