Police on high alert in KZN

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Pretoria - Police remain on high alert in KwaMashu, KwaZulu-Natal, where shops belonging to foreign nationals were looted and some burnt down.

Police say some of the roads were completely blockaded with burning tyres and stones.

More than 30 people have been arrested in KwaMashu since the incidents of violence against foreign nationals last week.

They face charges of public violence, business robbery and possession of unlicensed firearms and ammunition.

The violence started in Isipingo and has since spread to Chatsworth, Umlazi and other parts of Durban after locals said the foreign nationals should go back to their home countries.

The KwaZulu-Natal Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General Mmamonnye Ngobeni, said more arrests are expected to be made regarding these attacks.

She strongly condemned such attacks and vowed that those involved will be arrested and charged accordingly.

“We urge those who were injured during the attack to come forward and open cases so that they will be investigated. Our Public Order Police will still monitor and patrol those affected areas including Umlazi, Isipingo and Chatsworth,” said Ngobeni.

Government has also condemned the violence, with President Jacob Zuma sending Ministers to assess the situation and to find solutions.

Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba, Police Minister Nathi Nhleko and State Security Minister David Mahlobo have been assigned to work with the KwaZulu-Natal provincial government to deal with the situation.

Today the Justice, Crime Prevention and Security Cluster (JCPS) will hold a media briefing - led by the chairperson of the cluster, Defence Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula - to detail their action plan for the attacks.

The cluster will also address the vandalising of national monuments and illegal land invasions. – SAnews.gov.za

Most Read