NW families find peace after reburial

Monday, October 23, 2017

The families of those whose remains were exhumed and reburied in Ventersdorp, have thanked the North West provincial government for listening to their pleas.

The provincial government on Saturday hosted an exhumation and reburial service in Tshing in Ventersdorp.

Last year, the families of the deceased complained about the flooding of their loved ones graves as a result of water which was running downhill from the leaking pipeline towards the cemetery. The leak affected 47 graves and only 41 graves were exhumed, while the families of six others withdrew from the process.

The service to exhume and rebury the remains was organised by the Reconciliation, Healing and Renewal (RHR) Programme in the Office of Premier Supra Mahumapelo.

Khuduga Dibe is one of the families whose graves of their loved ones were affected. “My family is very much thankful to RHR, JB Marks Municipality and provincial government that have ensured the exhumation and reburial of our grave. We are grateful that it all ended well. The municipality and provincial government must continue to be responsive to our people,” said Dibe.

Director for the RHR Tebogo Ramashilabela thanked the families for their patience during the process.

“In our African culture, graves are respected. We cannot reconcile, heal and be renewed when you always see the grave of your loved one covered by water. Now that the exhumation and reburial has taken place this will bring healing in your lives.

“For those who still want to relocate the remains of their loves one, they can approach the municipality for the process to start,” said Ramashilabele.

Finance, Economy and Enterprise Development MEC Wendy Nelson who addressed the prayer service of Premier Mahumapelo said the provincial government remain committed to assisting communities. – SAnews.gov.za

 

 

Most Read