No further injuries reported following Cape fires

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Cape Town - No further injuries have been reported following the fires which broke out on Table Mountain in Cape Town.

Head of the City of Cape Town's Disaster Risk Management Centre Greg Pillay told BuaNews that no further injuries had been reported after five fire fighters and two suspected vagrants were injured in the fires that started on Tuesday.

"No further injuries have been reported," Mr Pillay added.

He said the five fire fighters sustained minor injuries while trying to extinguish the flames, while the two suspected vagrants sustained third degree burns in the fire.

However, Mr Pillay reassured the public that the fires were under control and that a total of 45 fire fighters had been deployed to the area. The fire fighters were working a shift cycle to extinguish the fires which had spread around Devil's Peak.

Mr Pillay said that De Waal Drive, which was one of the roads that had been closed due to the fires, would be reopened to traffic on Tuesday afternoon.

"It will be reopened to motorists in a few minutes," he said, while cautioning motorists to be vigilant as fire trucks would be in the area.

However, he said, it was safe for those who had been advised to evacuate their homes to return to them. "They can return to their homes, the alert was issued as a precaution," said Mr Pillay.

The cause for the fire had not been established. "We do not know what caused the fire, we would rather not speculate. We will continue to monitor the situation," said Mr Pillay.

Most Read

SA News on Facebook