Professor John D Volmink has been reinstated as Umalusi chairperson, the Department of Basic Education has announced.
The Council, the Council for Quality Assurance in General and Further Education and Training, appointment was announced by Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga last week during a formal function in Pretoria.
The four-year tenure of the newly appointed Council ends in June 2022.
Attending the event was Umalusi staff and dignitaries from the education sector.
In her keynote address, Motshekga emphasised the importance of Umalusi, saying the Council was “a key role player in the general and further education and training sector in South Africa”.
The Minister said the department acknowledged and respects the independence of Umalusi as the Council for Quality Assurance in General and Further Education and Training.
She said she was looking forward to receiving professional and sound advice from the Umalusi Council with respect to different aspects of the education and training system.
Volmink thanked the Minister for his appointment. “My wish is that as we start this new journey together, we will be able to leave a lasting legacy as a trusted authority in quality assurance of education provision,” he said.
Umalusi Council includes:
- Professor John D Volmink (Chairperson of Council) - North-West University
- Professor ‘Mabokang LE Monnapula-Mapesela - Central University of Technology
- Professor Yunus Ballim - Vice Chancellor, Sol Plaate University, Northern Cape
- Duncan B Hindle - Consultant
- Nathaniel T Johnstone - CEO, CIE Investment Company
- Advocate Jeremiah Merabe - Educational law expert
- Professor Mary Metcalfe - Former Gauteng Education MEC
- Professor Peter M Mulaudzi - University of Venda
- Cecilia Myburgh - University of Pretoria
- Professor Leketi Makalela - University of the Witwatersrand
- Prof Motlalepule R Mampane - University of Pretoria
- Marianna DM Phutsisi - Motheo TVET College
- Professor Peggy D Siyakwazi Retired Professor, Sociology of Education
- Dr Mafu S Rakometsi - CEO: Umalusi
- Joe Samuels - CEO: South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA)
- Prof Narend Baijnath - CEO: Council on Higher Education
- Vijayen Naidoo - CEO: Quality Council on Trades and Occupations - SAnews.gov.za