New appointment letters issued to KZN markers

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pretoria – The KwaZulu-Natal Department of Education says it is on track with issuing new appointment letters for qualifying markers, and expects that the process will be completed by the end of this week.

The department has assured that the system error, which occurred during the printing and issuing of the appointment letters for markers, has been corrected.

Last week, the National Department of Basic Education said it was working with the KwaZulu-Natal Department of Education officials to ensure that only markers that satisfy the stringent criteria were appointed.

This followed an “unfortunate error” that happened in the final steps of the appointment of markers for the National Senior Certificate (NSC) examination in KwaZulu-Natal.

According to the national department, the province had completed the recruitment process according to plan, and qualifying teachers were recommended for appointment. However, an error occurred at the point of printing and issuing the appointment letters.

All marker appointments had to be withdrawn to allow the provincial education department time to rectify the error, which involved a thorough verification of the list of applicants that are recommended for appointment.

KZN Education MEC Peggy Nkonyeni said the process of issuing the new letters to the qualifying markers started on Wednesday morning and will be completed by the end of this week.

“The marking starts on 4 December 2013. We are happy to announce that everything is on track regarding the 2013 matric examinations,” said Nkonyeni. – SAnews.gov.za

Most Read