Ministry extends condolences to Van Schalkwyk family

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Pretoria - The Ministry of State Security has conveyed condolences to the family and friends of Hermanus Van Schalkwyk who was killed in an accident involving one of the official security vehicles.

Van Schalkwyk passed away on 24 December 2015 in a head-on collision along the R33 road in Mpumalanga.

“The Ministry had been in contact with the family and had agreed to visit them to convey [the Minister David Mahlobo’s] sympathies. However, the family has, on legal advice elected not to proceed with the visit, thanking him for his gesture. The Ministry respects their decision,” the Ministry said in a statement.

According to media reports, the family has opened a case of culpable homicide against Minister Mahlobo.

The Ministry said it noted with concern the politicization of an unfortunate incident and the resultant loss of life as well as speculative media reports around the collision.

“We call on the relevant authorities to be allowed space to conduct their investigation and related processes in accordance with the law. Our thoughts are also with the injured official and we wish him a speedy recovery.” – SAnews.gov.za

 

 

Most Read