KZN Transport welcomes peace deal after Phoenix e-hailing assault

Thursday, February 19, 2026

KwaZulu-Natal Transport and Human Settlements MEC Siboniso Duma has welcomed what he described as a ground-breaking peace agreement between the KZN E-Hailing Council and the Phoenix Taxi Association following the recent assault of a Bolt driver in Phoenix.

The agreement was facilitated by the Department of Transport’s Public Regulatory Entity (PRE) after tensions escalated in the area.

A Bolt driver was allegedly assaulted and held for a R5 000 ransom after dropping off a passenger at Phoenix Plaza on Saturday, 14 February. The incident sparked concern over the safety and ongoing friction between the e-hailing and taxi sectors.

Speaking at a meeting held this week at Bethsaida Church in Phoenix, north of Durban, Duma commended the South African Police Service (SAPS), particularly the Phoenix Police Station -- led by Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi -- for intervening swiftly to avert what could have been a disaster.

The meeting, chaired by the PRE and eThekwini Metro Police, was described as robust, with stakeholders highlighting challenges facing the public transport sector in Phoenix.

Discussions focused on longstanding tensions between the taxi industry and e-hailing operators, regulatory compliance, and safety concerns.

Despite these challenges, both the KZN e-Hailing Council and Phoenix Taxi Association committed to work together in order to restore stability.

Regulatory compliance

Duma noted that e-hailing platform providers are currently registering their digital applications with the National Public Transport Regulator in compliance with the National Land Transport Amendment Act.
He said the National Department of Transport is reviewing applications from around six to 10 companies, with the deadline set for 10 March 2026.

“Successful e-hailing platform providers will be issued with certificates, and the Provincial Regulatory Entity will be informed of these successful providers. This will pave the way for drivers and operators in the province to apply for operating licences,” Duma said.

He added that the PRE will ensure strict compliance before issuing operating licences to drivers.
In November last year, the National Department of Transport urged e-hailing operators to convert their charter permits and meter taxi operating licences to e-hailing operating licences.

READ | Government calls on e-hailing operators to register vehicles for operating licences

Key resolutions

Stakeholders in the meeting reached an agreement on several measures aimed at fostering peace and strengthening regulation in the Phoenix area. These include:
•    Working together to ensure long-lasting solutions in order to achieve peace and stability within the public transport sector in the Phoenix area.
•    Regular meetings between the Phoenix Taxi Association and KZN E-Hailing Council, with the next meeting scheduled for the second week of March.
•    There will be a designated area where e-hailers will drop off and pick up passengers at the Phoenix Plaza.
•    Strengthened traffic enforcement to enhance safety and system compliance.
•    Rollout of Multidisciplinary Roadblocks involving KZN E-Hailing Council, Phoenix Taxi Association, SAPS, Road Traffic Inspectorate and Metro Police to root out illegal operators, including drivers who do not have an app and taxi operators who do not have permits or e-hailers who are transporting staff; and
•    The hosting of an E-Hailing Summit, in collaboration with eThekwini Mayor Cyril Xaba, aimed at harmonising relations and ensuring co-existence between e-hailing drivers and taxi operators. The date and venue are yet to be announced.

Duma also commended the South African National Taxi Council (SANTACO) eThekwini Region for its role in facilitating dialogue and contributing to the successful outcome of the meeting. – SAnews.gov.za