Joburg metrobus back on the road

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Pretoria - Metrobus drivers in Johannesburg are expected to return to work this morning. 

"We are pleased to inform the public and our passengers that our services are back to normal," Metrobus's managing director, Herman van Laar told BuaNews.

Drivers affiliated to South African Municipal Workers' Union went on strike on 9 February as a result of dissatisfaction by some bus drivers over the new shifts schedule. 

Shifts were restructured to allow for an eight-hour working shift instead of the six or seven hours operated previously.

Passengers with tags would be allowed to board the bus free for two days, on 22 and 23 March, van Laar said. 

The strike had cost the company R10 million, he said, and another R2.5 million to manage it. 

The company was still considering the best possible mechanisms to refund passengers in possession of tags not used. 

Most Read

SA News on Facebook