eThekwini Mayor condemns vandalism of property

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Pretoria - eThekwini Municipality Mayor James Nxumalo has condemned the vandalism of property including municipal buildings during a violent service delivery protest in Luganda, near Mariannhill in Durban.

“We condemn this act of violence in the strongest term and urge residents to voice their issues without resorting to violence and destruction of property,” Mayor Nxumalo said, adding that police will deal with the criminal matters.

During a protest on Tuesday, protesters blockaded roads and set alight an office of Ward 13, Counsellor Mduduzi Gumede. Part of Gumede’s house was also set alight during the protest.

It is alleged that the protesters were demanding answers from the municipality following concerns raised during a Masakhane Community Outreach meeting held in Ward 13 last month.

Mayor Nxumalo noted that acts of vandalism taking place in communities cannot be addressed by the municipality and police alone.

“They require vigilance from us as community members and we must not look away when we know that our relatives, neighbours and friends are involved in damaging council property.”

Mayor Nxumalo has tasked law enforcement agencies to hunt down the perpetrators of this unlawful act so that they can face the full might of the law.

Six people have been arrested in connection with the incident.

A meeting involving all municipal departments to address the issues is expected to take place at Luganda Sports ground on Sunday.

The municipality urges residents to continue reporting vandalism to number 080 1313013.

Attacks on foreign nationals

Meanwhile, the KwaZulu-Natal Government and eThekwini Metro has urged residents to refrain from circulating unverified information.

This follows reports that violent attacks against foreign nationals have erupted again on Tuesday in Isipingo, south of Durban.

Transport, Community Safety and Liaison MEC Willies Mchunu, who is also the chairperson of the joint KwaZulu-Natal Government and eThekwini Metro task team charged with addressing issues around reintegration, has called on everyone to be responsible and stop circulating false information on social media.

“This afternoon’s media reports suggesting that attacks on foreign nationals have re-erupted in Isipingo have not been confirmed. No incidents of violence were reported in the Durban North areas of Inanda, Ntuzuma, KwaMashu, Lindelani, Sydenham and Greenwood Park,” said MEC Mchunu.

According to the statement issued by KwaZulu-Natal Police, no new incidents of violence have been reported in the last 48 hours.

Social Development Minister Bathabile Dlamini visited Phoenix on Monday evening, where she urged officials to profile children, including pregnant women and people with disabilities, and provide them with the necessary assistance.

Minister Dlamini’s office will continue to work with the task team to speed up the process of reintegration.

More prayer meetings are continuing across the province. – SAnews.gov.za

Most Read