Sunday, August 19, 2018
Fake event organisers and con artists should refrain from misleading the public using the government’s name, Small Business Development Minister Lindiwe Zulu has warned.
The Minister issued the stern warning on after it emerged that a group of alleged businessmen had been pursuing the public to attend a fake event branded as Ekurhuleni Black Suppliers Road Show.
Budding entrepreneurs desperate for information and opportunities were a particular target of the con artists.
Minister Zulu condemned the fraudulent use of her name, the department and other government leaders by faceless con artists whose only objective, she said, is to defraud innocent citizens.
She further called on members of the community to be vigilant and guard against being defrauded in similar schemes.
“We urge all entrepreneurs and aspirant entrepreneurs to verify any suspicious information with our office,” the Department said in a statement.
The reaction came after the City of Ekurhuleni Mayor Mzwandile Masina denied that the metro was sponsoring the event. Posters circulating on social media alleged that the city had partnered with organisers.
Masina, in a statement, condemned the misrepresentations and indicated that an investigation had been launched to establish if a city official had consented to the use of the metro’s brand.
“The city is fully committed to transparency on any information related to business and procurement. Such information is free and available to the public. The city has embarked on programmes and roadshows such as Ntirhisano, partnering with SEDA and the Gauteng Provincial Government, to raise awareness about opportunities in the city. All these activities are done at no cost to the public,” the metro said in a statement. – SAnews.gov.za