Durban and surrounding townships calm

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Pretoria – The intensity of the unrest stemming from attacks on foreign nationals in KwaZulu-Natal over recent weeks appears to have abated, says the KwaZulu-Natal South African Police Service (SAPS).

This follows a Peace Imbizo called by Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini, which saw thousands of people converging at Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban on Monday.

The imbizo was organised by the royal household and provincial government in support of government’s efforts to curb the violence against foreign nationals.

It also comes after last week’s Peace March, which was organised by the province and civil society.

During the imbizo, King Zwelithini, who shared the stage with political leaders and religious groups, condemned the attacks on foreign nationals and called for peace and calm in the province.

KwaZulu-Natal Provincial Commissioner Lieutenant General Mmamonnye Ngobeni commended SAPS members and other security forces for working together in bringing about peace and order in communities.

KZN police spokesperson Major Thulani Zwane said the number of arrests remains at 114 and the number of deaths remains at six.

Major Zwane said the proactive police deployments are set to continue until authorities are satisfied that there is no possibility of a resurgence of attacks on foreigners.

“Joint committees of representatives from government and the security sector at provincial and national level will continue to engage in dialogue to adapt and implement strategies to sustain peace and calm presently being experienced and to forge a way forward for the peaceful co-existence of locals and foreign nationals,” said Zwane. – SAnews.gov.za

Most Read