Athletics SA meet over Chuene's future

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Johannesburg - Athletics South Africa (ASA) Board is currently meeting in Kempton Park today to discuss its President Leonard Chuene's handling of the Caster Semenya saga.

Chuene has come under severe public criticism after admitting that he lied about whether the gold medallist had had gender verification tests before she left for the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF).

Yesterday government had called on sports bodies to ensure that the 18-year-old gold medallist's rights are respected.

"Cabinet calls on the sports bodies to do all in their power to ensure that Semenya's rights are respected and that she and her family are provided with all the necessary support during this difficult time," said Government Spokesperson Themba Maseko

He said Cabinet is disappointment with the manner in which the issue was handled by the sports bodies.

Meanwhile, the athlete's lawyers have said they are fighting to restore her dignity. Semenya's legal team has sent a letter to the IAAF requesting the organisation to provide them with any medical records.

Dewey & LeBoeuf legal team, who has taken on Semenya's case on a pro bono basis, said they also want records of her consent to the invasive gender tests which were conducted before the World Championships in Berlin last month.

Most Read

SA News on Facebook