Police hunt for BRT attackers

Monday, September 7, 2009

Johannesburg - Law enforcement agencies are hard at work trying to find information that will lead to the arrest of the perpetrators of last week's incident involving shots being fired at a Rea Vaya bus in Soweto.

Briefing the media in Johannesburg on Monday, Gauteng Community Safety MEC, Khabisi Mosunkutu, said the government had now enhanced security at the Bus Rapid Transit stations in order to ensure that commuters were safe at all times.

Stepped up security measures include a police presence on all buses, as well as law enforcement vehicles which accompany the buses on their routes, reports the Gauteng Provincial Government.

Mosunkutu was one of the five Gauteng MECs briefing the media on the progress of his department's programme of action in the first 100 days in office.

A policeman and passenger were wounded when the occupants of a minibus taxi opened fire on a Rea Vaya bus in Soweto last Tuesday evening. The buses were ferrying passengers from the Ellis Park station and Johannesburg city centre to Soweto.

Shots were apparently fired from a Toyota Quantum minibus that had been following the bus as it was driving past the Nancefield Hostel around 8pm.

An off-duty policeman was hit in the leg and an unidentified passenger was also wounded.

Mosunkutu said the gunmen would be found. He said he believed the perpetrators of the attack are opposed to the BRT system.

Most Read

SA News on Facebook