Baleka Mbete to leave government

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Pretoria - The African National Congress (ANC) has announced that Deputy President Baleka Mbete will not return to government under the new administration.

On Wednesday, during the first sitting of the National Assembly, Ms Mbete did not take the oath of affirmation to become a Member of Parliament.

In a statement issued by the party's Secretary General Gwede Mantashe on Friday, the party said it wished to clarify that she had not been sworn in because consultations about her deployment had not yet been concluded.

Ms Mbete has been deployed to Luthuli House.

"In considering the allocation of responsibilities of the senior leaders of the movement, the officials have decided that Ms Mbete should be deployed to work full time at ANC headquarters in Johannesburg," said Mr Mantashe.

Ms Mbete, who had previously held the post of Speaker of Parliament, took over from Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka as Deputy President.

Most Read

SA News on Facebook