Eight people wanted for fraud, corruption
Pretoria – The East London Magistrate’s Court has issued a warrant of arrest for eight people facing charges of fraud and corruption, the Hawks said on Monday.
The suspects include government officials and company directors, who failed to hand themselves to the Hawks Task Team members last Friday.
“Company directors and senior municipal officials are not above the law and no one deserves preferential treatment in the spirit of equality before the law. The Hawks are a law enforcement entity and we will not delay to execute our mandate without fear or favour,” National Head of the Hawks, Lieutenant General Mthandazo Ntlemeza, said.
The Hawks have ordered that the suspects surrender themselves to the task team members to avert further embarrassment.
The suspects are wanted in connection with a case in which alleged the Buffalo City Municipality lost almost R15 million for services not rendered.
“It is alleged that Ndodana Consulting Engineers Pty (Ltd) allegedly submitted fraudulent invoices to the municipality.
“The directors of the company and some senior officials at the municipality allegedly benefited out the alleged fraudulent transaction,” the Hawks said.
Monde Webster Ndodana, 63, and owner of Ndodana Consulting Engineers complied and handed himself to the team on Friday morning.
Ndodana is the ninth suspect in the case. He appeared in court briefly on the same day and was granted R30 000 bail. The matter was postponed to 2 May.
Instead of appearing in court, the eight suspects chose to send their legal representatives to appear on their behalf.
The Hawks said the suspects, who are subject to a fraud and corruption investigation, were duly informed last week and given ample time to present themselves.
“Respect for the rule of law would be ferociously undermined if the accused were to send a message to the public that they do not value court orders.
“We have given them another chance that they surrender to the task team. If not, we will not hesitate to search for them wherever they are to answer to the serious charges they are facing,” said Ntlemeza. – SAnews.gov.za