SANDF considers Operation Fiela extension

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Pretoria - The South African National Defence Force (SANDF) has confirmed that they have received a request to assist the police with their anti-crime operations under Operation Fiela.

SANDF spokesperson Siphiwe Dlamini said the request is being considered.

“The SANDF will still process such a request through the normal employment channels which includes authorisation by the Commander-In-Chief (President Jacob Zuma) and if granted submission of information to Parliament,” Dlamini said on Wednesday.

The President has to inform Parliament in writing of any decision to deploy troops.

The SANDF was authorized by President Jacob Zuma to assist police in initially maintaining order and preventing violent attacks after the attacks on foreign nationals just over three months ago.

Operation Fiela, which means ‘sweep’ in Sesotho, is a multi-disciplinary inter-departmental strategy aimed at ridding the country of illegal weapons, drug dens, prostitution rings and other illegal activities.

It also focuses on illicit drugs, contraband, undocumented migrants, human trafficking and prostitution, condemned buildings, illegal possession of firearms and ammunition.

Unlicensed businesses, the management of RDP houses, illegal occupation of land and illegal goods and products will also be high on the list of priorities of the operation.

Over 9000 people are reported to have been arrested during various Operation Fiela patrols and raids across the country so far. – SAnews.gov.za

Most Read