South Africa

The second phase of the COVID-19 Emergency Relief Funding for all community and small commercial (SCM) media projects is now open for applications.

The community of Ikemeleng, Gauteng, has now been moved into decent homes by the Department of Human Settlements.

With just a week to go until Grade 7 and 12 learners return to the classroom under level 3 of lockdown, preparations are underway at schools across the country to ensure the safe return of pupils, come 1 June 2020.

Home Affairs Minister, Dr Aaron Motsoaledi, has approved essential travel for South Africans, who want to return to the countries where they are based.

The South African Reserve Bank (SARB) has announced that the COVID-19 lockdown has detrimentally affected the release of the June Quarterly Bulletin and two statistical documents.

Health Minister, Dr Zweli Mkhize, has announced a total number of 22 583 confirmed COVID-19 cases in South Africa.

As South Africa commemorates Africa Day, President Cyril Ramaphosa has commended governments on the continent for their swift and proactive response in implementing measures to flatten the Coronavirus curve.

As the continent marks the 57th Africa Day, amid the COVID-19 pandemic, President Cyril Ramaphosa - as African Union Chair - will lead the continent’s celebrations, which include a special virtual broadcast and the Africa Day Solidarity Concert for the COVID-19 Response Fund.

The Department of Small Business Development has unveiled the second-wave of financial relief schemes that are expected to come to the rescue of township and village cooperates adversely affected by the COVID-19 lockdown.

President Cyril Ramaphosa has announced that South Africa will move to alert level 3 with effect from 1 June - with more sectors of the economy opening and the removal of a number of restrictions on the movement of people.

Final year students and those graduating in 2020 may return to campus under level 3 lockdown.

The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases has reached the 20 000 mark, as the country's death toll increased by 28 to 397 on Friday.

With the Western Cape being the hardest hit province so far by the COVID-19 pandemic, it is reported that at least 19 police stations have had to be decontaminated again, says Police Minister Bheki Cele.

While crime in the country continued to remain low during the COVID-19 lockdown, reported cases began to increase after the country moved to level 4 at the beginning of May.

The Department of Labour and Employment says Gauteng had the highest number of beneficiaries who have been paid COVID-19 Temporary Employer/Employee Relief Scheme (TERS) benefits.

Pages

SAnews on Facebook