Road closures for opening of Parliament
Pretoria - Several roads will be closed and parking restricted around Parliament for the State of the Nation Address on Thursday.
The closures and parking restrictions will take place from Wednesday (due to rehearsals) until Friday.
Motorists have been advised that city-bound traffic on the N2 will not be able to use Nelson Mandela Blvd or de Waal Dr from 17:45 to 19:00, and should use alternative routes such as the N1 via Vanguard Dr or the M5 from the N2.
Southern suburbs-bound traffic from the N2 will be able to use the M3 southbound.
These road closures will also affect the first day of the cricket test match between South Africa and Pakistan at Newlands.
The M3 northbound will be closed at 17:45.
Patrons leaving the cricket grounds that need to move northwards towards the city centre are advised to use rail-based public transport or the M5 or Main Road (M4) or wait until 19:00 when the M3 will be re-opened.
Road closures for the event and rehearsals
Additional controlled roads and closures
- Security fencing will line the route in the CBD. There will be guarded pedestrian crossing points during peak time on Adderley St. at Hans Strijdom, Waterkant and Castle Streets.
- Security controlled roads around the CTICC including Coen Steytler Ave. on Thursday 14 February from 19:30 to Friday 15 February at 01:00.
- The Company’s Garden will be closed on Thursday 14 February from 16:00 to 20:00.
Thursday 14 February 2013 from 0:00 (midnight) to 21:00:
*Please note that no parked vehicles will be permitted in the following areas:
- Princess Anne Ave.
- Central Business District (CBD) / Foreshore area:
- Adderley St and Heerengracht: between Wale St & Hertzog Blvd.
- Hertzog Blvd.
- Parliament / The Company’s Garden area:
- Church Square: corner of Spin St. & Parliament St.
- Roeland St: between Buitenkant & Plein St.
- Plein St: between Roeland St. & Spin St.
- Spin St: between Parliament St. & Plein St.
- Parliament St: between Longmarket St. & Bureau St’s.
- Hatfield & St. John’s Streets: between Roeland St. & Orange St’s.
- St. Mary’s Cathedral Parking Area: between Bouquet St. & Roeland St’s.
- Gallery Lane.
- Queen Victoria Ave.
- Commercial St: between Buitenkant and Plein St.
Road users are advised to use the following alternative routes to or from the CBD during the event:
- M5, Black River Parkway, then onto the N1, Table Bay Blvd.
- M4, Main Rd, onto Victoria Rd up to the Good Hope Centre. Thereafter left onto Tennant Rd or right onto Christiaan Barnard St. to circle the outer CBD.
- Outer CBD Circle Road: Use the following ring route to/from the area of the CBD affecting you:
- Christiaan Barnard St.
- Table Bay Blvd.
- Buitensingel St.
- Orange St.
- Jutland Ave.
- Upper Roeland St. / Brandweer St.
- Tennant St.
According to the City, the MyCiTi bus service will continue throughout.
At the Civic Centre bus station on Hertzog Boulevard, buses will arrive at and depart from the north side of the station (Hertzog Blvd outbound).
Passengers and pedestrians will not be permitted to use Hertzog Blvd inbound sidewalks on Thursday, 14 February between 16:00 and 20:00 and are requested to please use the other access points.
MyCiTi Public Transport