More AB Xuma learners come forward

The number of pupils allegedly assaulted by a scholar patroller at AB Xuma Primary School has risen to 83.

“Sadly, the number of learners who were allegedly sexually assaulted by the patroller guard at a primary school in Soweto has increased to 83,” Gauteng Education MEC Panyazi Lesufi said.

On Monday, 54 pupils alleged that they had been sexually assaulted but since then more pupils have come forward.

The MEC has since removed the principal and the entire senior management at the primary school.

An independent body has been appointed to investigate all allegations levelled against the principal and her management team. The department will engage with the School Governing Body to establish reasons why it should not be dissolved.

The patroller’s services were terminated with immediate effect and an investigation into the appointment of the scholar patroller has been launched.

The alleged perpetrator has been arrested and appeared at the Protea’s Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday. He remains in police custody and will appear in court on 18 October 2017.

The department has offered counselling to the affected pupils.

“We remain grateful to all stakeholders especially the Teddy Bear Clinic and our psycho social support services. I am grateful that the department has prioritised this matter and we will leave no stone unturned,” said MEC Lesufi.

He is expected to visit the primary school later today to monitor the progress in relation to the counselling of affected learners.

The department emphasised its zero-tolerance stance on sexual assault and encouraged learners to report such incidents to their parents, police or any other authority, so that necessary action can be taken accordingly. – SAnews.gov.za